Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Accentuate the Positive

I know you know it..."accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative" (can't you hear the song in your head like I can?)  Well, I have had this notion in my mind for several years that if people focus on my *eyes* that they won't notice the rest of me, perfect or not so much.  Granted, I do live in a country where I tend to stick out anyways due to a number of things, my hair color, my eye color, my way of dressing (Westernized although moderately conservative, i.e. no sleeveless, no shorts/short skirts, no tight clothes).  Plus I do have always with me the perfect accessory nowadays - I call it the CUTEST KID EVER! (Just HAD to plug that in there somewhere ;-))

So, I have slowly developed over the past few years a love of eye makeup.  I mean, I love the colored eye liners, the different shades of eye shadow, the colored mascaras, etc.  I am by no means some kind of expert (ha!) but there is just something about getting your eyes all done up that makes you feel like a woman.  And over the past few months I have definitely needed this.  With my hair falling out post-pregnancy and trying to regain some shred of my former bodied self, a little eye makeup goes a long way in boosting my self esteem.

I encourage you (ladies only, please) to do the same.  As my college buddies can attest, I was never much of one to primp.  We call that the "natural" look - the nice way of saying that she really doesn't care what she looks like.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the natural look.  But I have found that when I take a little care in my appearance that I feel better about myself in general.

Now I DO live in a country where the ladies can pull out all the stops when it comes to dressing up to go out. Egyptian ladies do NOT go out of the house in their sweats like we do in the States.  But maybe - on occasion - you might like to dress it up.  I am not saying you should overdo it, a *light* hand should be used for all makeup - unless of course for an evening out.

So have some fun with it and see how you feel.  I assure you that the mirror (and that special someone) will love you for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails